Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lord of the Rings inks



Lately I've been wanting to try my hand at drawing a MAD Magazine type splash page. Well, I finally put aside some time(or procrastinated school work, I'm not sure which) and started working on this guy. It has been much more of an endeavor than I thought it was going to be. First of all, the drawing is 18"x24", a little more than half the size of an actual MAD splash page. I've never worked that big. I put in 10 characters from LOTR, so there were tons of studies to be drawn. Then came the inking. I didn't time myself, but lets just say it took "several" hours. It was a good learning experience, and I wouldn't mind working this large more often. It was a lot of fun. But now, it's time to do some coloring. I scanned the inks in(it took me three tries with the faulty P.O.S. scanner at the UW-Stout Library totalling close to 45 minutes of work). I had to do it in six pieces. I'm going to paint it with some watercolors, but if it doesnt turn out to good, then I'll just do it in photoshop. Well, back to work....

1 comment:

Twan said...

Yo Marc Your stuff looks great man, I'm so glad you are pushing to keep improving, it really shows!

I can totally see you have been working with Jim all summer.
It would be cool to draw next to you again someday.

Keep going with it bro.